New York Clergy Sexual Abuse Lawyer
As the Catholic Church continues to release names of priests and other clergy members who have been accused of sexual abuse, it is clear that clergy abuse is an ongoing crisis that deserves attention. At Manly, Stewart & Finaldi, our attorneys are devoted to fighting for survivors of clergy abuse, holding any at-fault parties accountable for their despicable actions. Speak to an experienced New York clergy sexual abuse attorney today to discuss your case and legal options.
We understand the pain, stress, and trauma associated with sexual abuse – especially at the hands of an individual that you had previously trusted. If you or a loved one is a survivor of clergy abuse, please contact us today to discuss your case and receive the justice you deserve.
Why Choose Us?
- We have over 20 years of experience successfully litigating against the church and its members on behalf of survivors of clergy abuse. We have previously represented more than 150 clients who are survivors of clergy abuse.
- We aim for the maximum possible compensation as a punitive measure against the clergy, and to inspire change at the institutional level. To date, we have recovered more than $2 billion on behalf of our clients.
- We take a trauma-informed approach to our clients. That means we listen to your case, understand the emotions and feelings you are experiencing, and tailor our case strategies to match your needs. Additionally, all of your information is kept anonymous or 100% confidential at your request.
Why Do You Need a Clergy Abuse Attorney?
Coming forward with your personal experiences with sexual abuse by members of the church can be difficult, if not seemingly impossible. However, an attorney experienced in representing survivors of clergy abuse can make this task easier, helping you seek the closure, compensation, and justice you deserve.
The New York sexual abuse lawyers of Manly, Stewart & Finaldi can help you pursue the church for compensation while remaining respectful to your situation. We understand that reliving instances of abuse can be difficult, so we offer you the support necessary to help you proceed with a case against your abusers. This includes taking care of all the legal legwork on your behalf, negotiating with other parties to obtain the maximum compensation necessary for your needs, and answering any questions you may have regarding the compensation process.
Ultimately, our primary focus is on your healing and recovery, ensuring that you are comfortable through the legal process.
Clergy Sexual Abuse in New York is a Big Problem
Much like other major states and cities, New York has been the site of ever-increasing instances of clergy abuse. In February 2019, the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn disclosed a list of over 100 priest who have been credibly accused of sexual abuse of a minor. Of these accused priests:
- 41 of the named members died or resigned before any investigation was held.
- Cases of alleged abuse peaked in the 1960s and 1970s, but many of these were not officially reported until after 2002.
- Many of them service in the diocese’s schools, which include Cathedral Preparatory, Christ the Kind, St. Francis Preparatory, and Archbishop Malloy high schools.
In April 2019, the Archdiocese of New York, one of the largest in the nation, released the names of 120 clergy members who were similarly credibly accused of sexual abuse. Of these accused:
- 53 admitted to abuse and were either convicted of a crime or involved in a civil settlement
- Most were removed from the ministry, dead, or both.
- Most of the 59 other clergy members were involved in cases that led to financial settlements.
- 8 priests have been defrocked but are still awaiting a final decision of their status within the church.
Although the Catholic Church has made measures to compensate survivors of clergy abuse for past allegations, we believe that they have not done enough to take full accountability for their despicable actions.
Contact Our N.Y. Clergy Sexual Abuse Attorneys
At Manly, Stewart & Finaldi, our mission is justice. If you or a loved one is a survivor of clergy abuse, please contact us today to see how we can help you receive the compensation and closure you deserve. We understand your pain and suffering at this tough time, and we want to provide the support necessary for you to move on.