New York Foster Care Sexual Abuse Lawyer
Unfortunately, children in foster care and group homes have a higher likelihood of being survivors of sexual abuse than other children. At Manly, Stewart & Finaldi, we understand the pain and trauma associated with sexual abuse – especially in a private, trusted setting such as a foster home.
If you or a loved one has been a survivor of sexual abuse in foster care, we want you to know that you are not alone. Contact our New York attorneys to discuss your case and let us help you receive the support and respect you deserve in this time of need.
Why Choose Our Foster Care Abuse Attorneys?
- Our firm has more than 20 years of experience representing survivors of foster care abuse.
- We have a proven record of success, recovering a total of over $2 billion for our clients.
- We take a trauma-informed approach to your case, giving you the respect and support necessary during these sensitive matters. We approach you case with sympathy, and if necessary, we ensure your case is kept confidential for privacy purposes.
At Manly, Stewart & Finaldi, our primary focus is on you, the client – and ensuring that you receive the help you truly deserve.
Why Do You Need a Lawyer?
Pursuing compensation and justice for the abuse of a child can be an incredibly difficult, stressful experience for all those involved. However, retaining the services of an experienced sex abuse attorney can help you receive the support you need in order to seek the justice you deserve.
- An attorney with experience with foster care abuse can help answer any questions you may have about the compensation process.
- A lawyer can provide representation on behalf of the client in all proceedings, to respect any needs for confidentiality or privacy – especially in situations where minors are involved.
- An attorney has the resources to help clients seek help for children outside of the legal realm – providing any recommendations of care or therapy necessary for survivors.
Most importantly, a lawyer can give you the resources and knowledge necessary to hold any and all involved parties accountable for their careless, despicable actions.
What Are the Signs of Sexual Abuse in Foster Care?
Sexual abuse in children can often be difficult to discern, especially in cases where close guardians are involved. Children typically are not open to communicating about any explicit situations, and guardians make sure to hide any evidence or other indications out of plain sight. However, some key signs that a child may have been abused include:
- A sudden change in eating habits
- A sudden change in emotions – mood swings that were not previously present, seeming distant and detached at times
- Separation anxiety, or a fear of certain places or people
- Refusing to talk about certain adults or hastily changing the subject when asked
- Regressing into behaviors from when they were younger, such as bedwetting and thumbsucking
- Mimicking sexual behaviors or games when playing with toys or other children
In older children, such as adolescents, abuse can manifest itself through depression and anxiety, self-harm, drug and alcohol abuse, fear of intimacy or closeness, and other uncommon behaviors. If any of these present themselves, it is highly recommended to consult a medical professional for assistance.
Who Can Be Held Liable?
Cases involving sexual abuse in foster care can be a complicated affair due to the number of potentially liable parties involved. Those responsible for sexual abuse can include:
- Any adults directly involved, such as the foster parents
- Any case workers who may have been negligent in their responsibilities by failing to indicate the danger of the foster home
- Any state workers who have failed to properly screen the foster parents for any safety concerns
At Manly, Stewart & Finaldi, we believe any parties who contributed to the abuse of a child in foster care deserve to be held accountable for their carelessness and negligence. We utilize our resources to extensively determine who is liable for the abuse, and pursue the maximum possible compensation to hopefully effect change on an institutional level.
Contact the New York Foster Care Sexual Abuse Lawyers
If you or a loved one is a survivor of sexual abuse in foster care, please let us help you pursue closure and compensation for your damages. We are committed to the well-being of survivors of sexual abuse, and we are committed to providing any support we can to help you through this tough time. Schedule a free, 100% confidential consultation today to see how we can help.