New York Diocese of Albany Sexual Abuse Attorney
In May 2019, 83 clergy members of the Diocese of Albany were accused of sexual misconduct. Many of the survivors reported instances of abuse occurring when they were children, dating as far back as the 1980s.
At Manly, Stewart & Finaldi, we believe this is absolutely unacceptable. If you or a loved one is a survivor of sexual abuse by a member of the Diocese of Albany, please contact us immediately to discuss your case. We want to help you seek justice today.
Why Choose Us?
For more than 20 years, our experienced attorneys have helped survivors of sexual abuse and assault receive support and compensation for their damages.
- We have a proven record of results, successfully representing more than 150 survivors of clergy abuse, and securing more than $2 billion in total damages.
- We are sympathetic to your situation, providing legal representation that is supportive and understanding of your circumstances.
- We understand that you may want to protect your identity or retain any rights of privacy – so we maintain the highest standards of confidentiality at your request.
We are here to help you get the closure you deserve.
Why Do You Need a Lawyer?
A skilled attorney is highly recommended in cases involving clergy abuse because they can be highly complicated affairs. An attorney with experience in sexual abuse cases can:
- Provide emotional support to clients while also building a strong case against the offenders for their actions.
- Help determine the full value of your claim, allowing you to receive the maximum possible compensation.
- Advise you on the best methods of compensation.
- Utilize their resources to investigate your claim and determine any and all liable parties involved. Additionally, they may be able to find others who may have shared your similar experiences, in turn strengthening the case against the diocese.
- Handle all of the formal legal legwork while you can focus on healing and recovery.
- Help you remain confidential to protect your identity if necessary.
A skilled lawyer can be capable representation for nearly all of your needs throughout the duration of your case.
Options for Compensation
In cases involving the Catholic church, there may be multiple options for compensation that you may have to consider.
- Filing a lawsuit. Pursuing a claim against the liable parties is the traditional method of pursuing compensation, with the potential to receive the maximum possible compensation for your damages.
- Settling outside of court. Many clergy abuse cases reach a settlement amount outside of the courtroom, but this is typically a negotiated amount that also allows the diocese to shed any accountability for their actions.
- An independent, third-party compensation fund. Dioceses throughout the country have turned to an independently operated compensation program that serves to expedite the process for those who are survivors of clergy abuse. Commonly known as Independent Reconciliation and Compensation Programs (IRCP), these funds are a more efficient way to compensate survivors for their damages. However, some say that the compensation from these funds are much lower than those that you could receive from a lawsuit. Currently, the Diocese of Albany has not set up an IRCP but may very well do so in the near future.
Before proceeding with one of these options, it is always recommended to consult a legal professional first. All of these options have benefits and drawbacks and determining the best option can be difficult without a professional who has intimate knowledge of the processes.
Contact A Diocese of Albany Sexual Abuse Attorney
If you or a loved one is a survivor of sexual abuse by the Diocese of Albany, let us help you receive compensation for your damages. You deserve justice, and the diocese deserves to be held accountable for the criminal and negligent actions. Schedule a consultation today and see how we can help.